- TVFind out more about...
- RadioFind out more about...
- Mobile and TelecomsFind out more about...
- Smart Metering
Sound Digital multiplex
The second national commercial DAB multiplex, Sound Digital launched in the UK in March 2016.
Working in collaboration with Bauer and Wireless Group we built and launched the new network for Sound Digital. We continue to operate the multiplex, distribution network and service provider installations.
The Sound Digital transmission network was engineered to cover 77% of UK households from launch, achieving an optimum combination of national coverage and cost-effectiveness for digital radio stations.
Giving consumers more choice
The launch of Sound Digital saw a significant increase in choice of content for consumers. The multiplex offers a strong variety of content from a range of broadcasters.
The following services currently broadcast on the Sound Digital multiplex:
• talkRADIO - Wireless Group - News and current affairs
• talkSPORT 2 - Wireless Group - Live sports and sports talk
• Virgin Radio – Wireless Group - Rock and pop music
• Mellow Magic - Bauer Media - Relaxing and melodic music
• Magic Chilled (DAB+) - Bauer Media - Fresh, laid back hits
• Absolute 80s - Bauer Media - 80s music
• Kisstory - Bauer Media - ‘Old skool’ dance tunes and anthems
• Heat - Bauer Media - Pop music, celebrity gossip and entertainment
• Planet Rock - Bauer Media - Classic rock music
• Sunrise Radio - Sunrise Radio - Asian music and speech programmes
• Awesome Radio - Asian Sound - Asian music and speech, with elements of Islamic content
• UCB 2 - United Christian Broadcasters - Christian music
• Premier Christian Radio - Premier Media Group - Christian music and speech
• Premier Praise - Premier Media Group - Popular Christian music and spiritual content
• Panjab Radio - Panjab Radio - Delivering extra choice for British Sikhs and Panjabi speakers
• Fun Kids (DAB+) - Folder Media - National children’s radio station
• Jazz FM (DAB+) - Jazz FM - Jazz, blues and soul
• Union Jack (DAB+) – Jack FM – British music
The Sound Digital multiplex is also the first in the UK to use the newer DAB+ technology for some of the services. DAB+ uses less bandwidth than traditional DAB, allowing Sound Digital to carry more stations, expanding listener choice.
Broadcast on Sound Digital
In April 2017, we advertised for people interested in running a radio station on Sound Digital. This followed the decision by Share Radio to end its DAB digital radio transmissions. That process has now closed.
If you want to register your interest in any future opportunities to launch on Sound Digital and find out more about how we allocate capacity, please email email@example.com.
We are keen to treat everyone who is seeking capacity on DAB digital radio fairly. As part of that, we have described some of the principles and processes we follow in this document.