- TVFind out more about...
- RadioFind out more about...
- Mobile and TelecomsFind out more about...
- Arqiva helps Horsebridge to deliver ferry fleet connectivity
- Bringing connectivity to the skies, through the innovative EAN – Arqiva Case Study
- Providing first-class portfolio management for ScottishPower – An Arqiva case study
- Managing and maximising the BT Reach rooftop portfolio – An Arqiva case study
- Smart MeteringFind out more about...
Sound Digital multiplex launched
The second national DAB commercial multiplex, Sound Digital launched in the UK in March 2016…
As part of Sound Digital, a joint venture between Arqiva, Bauer and Wireless Group, we committed to build and launch the new network. We were directly responsible for building and operating the multiplex, distribution network and service provider installations. Sound Digital pledged to launch at least 15 DAB Radio services, of mixed format, including the UK’s first commercial DAB Plus (DAB+) service.
In just 12 months, this significant project involved the building of 45 transmitter sites across the UK, to ensure coverage for over 77% of the population.
We were uniquely positioned, being the operator of the only other existing National commercial DAB multiplex in the UK, Digital One. We also hold the licence for and operate 23 local DAB licences (Now Digital) and provide transmission services for a further 29 commercial DAB multiplexes.
March 2016 saw the landmark switch-on of the Sound Digital multiplex, paving the way for listeners to access 18 national radio stations (including three DAB+ services), representing the biggest commercial radio launch and increase in choice for the British public.
The Sound Digital multiplex was at 98% capacity at launch and the distribution network was delivered by us, a month ahead of schedule.